• A foreigner can rent workspace.
  • The rental local market is governed by the Rent Act (1972).
  • An indicative list of rental costs is provided below
Type of property Price  (USD per m2 per month)
Office space 22
Commercial space/building (shop front) 20
Warehouse [3;6]

Source: IGuide Zambia. Prices are for main commercial cities (2018 figures).

Leasehold tenure

Land classification

  • The following land categories are available for investment in Zambia
Private land Government land Customary land
Held by legal persons (whether a company or an individual) Held and administered by the respective government institutions Held by the respective chiefdoms

System of tenure

  • Investors can only get ownership through a leasehold tenure.
  • The leasehold tenure runs for 99 years and is renewable for a further 99 years.
  • In case of land disputes, the resolution is speeded up by the existence of Lands Tribunals.
  • It is possible to appeal decisions of the Tribunal with the Supreme Court.

Transfer fees

  • When transferring lands, the following costs incur
Consideration fee Preparation fee Registration fee Property transfer tax
The amount varies locally Charged by the Commissioner of Lands The fee has to be paid to the Lands and Deeds Registry before the registration of the lease The seller has to pay 5% of the realised value or the open market value to ZRA.
If the seller is the government, the transaction is tax free.

Building and construction

  • Before starting construction work, the investor has to obtain a construction permit from the city planning department of the City Council.
    To this end, the investor has to contract first with an architect and a structural engineer –that is a selected company from the pool of registered engineers.
  • To get the permit, the investor has notably to
1. Liaise with an architect to realize the architectural drawings. The architectural drawing has to be uploaded by the architect into the City Planning Registry. 2. Pay the construction payment fees to the City Council. After a one-month delay, the architect will receive the architectural plans approval notification. 3. Submit the architectural drawings and the notification of approval for signature at the City Council offices, Department of City Planning.
4. Ask the structural engineer and the architect to upload the structural plans into the City Council registry. 5. To obtain the authenticated structural plans and approved certificate of structural design, ask the structural engineer or the architect to present the application reference number. 6. Once all these stages have been overcome, the investor can register the project with the National Council for Construction.