Presentation of MFEZs
- In an effort to improve Zambia’s attractiveness, the ZDA Act (2006) introduced guidelines for Multi-Facility Economic Zones (MFEZs).
- Investors are free to suggest locations for the development of MFEZs.
- The Government of Zambia has already supported the creation of six MFEZs. For each of these areas, the table below provides basic relevant information
|Name||Chambishi/Zambia-China Economic & Trade Cooperation Zone||Lumwana||Lusaka East||Lusaka South||Ndola||Roma|
|Type||MFEZ||MFEZ||MFEZ||MFEZ||Industrial Park||Industrial Park|
|Brief description||Chambishi is the first economic zone established by China in Africa. The 5,000 m2 MFEZ was developed by China Non-Ferrous Metal Mining Company Limited (CNMC).
Near 50 firms (about 8,200 workers) currently operate in Chambishi.
|The MFEZ houses manufacturing of explosives, agro-processing, horticulture, fisheries, and commercial products.||The Lusaka East MFEZ is an extension of the Chambishi MFEZ.
200 million RMB (30 million US dollars) were recently granted by the Chinese government to upgrade facilities.
|Located in the city capital, the MFEZ has over 2,100 hectares of serviced land.||The Sub Saharan Gemstone Exchange (or Ndola) Industrial Park has been recently rehabilitated.||The Industrial Park is particularly suitable for light industries, retail park, office park and warehousing activities.|
- In order to operate in a special economic zone, investors must obtain a MFEZ permit and a license from ZDA. Requirements are the following.
|Application Form||Certified copy of company registration or incorporation||Certified copy of certificate of share capital||Certified copy of list of shareholders and directors|
|Business plan and feasibility study||Verifiable evidence of project finance||Brief resumes for shareholders and directors||Clear statement of how the project will fit into the overall MFEZ master plan|
- Investments in priority sectors benefit from a reduced tax rate.