Further protection: bilateral investment treaties
- Compared to local investors, international investors benefit from further protection in application of bilateral investment agreements concluded with
- Bilateral investment treaties that were signed but are not currently in force are the following
Last update: July 2018.
- Zambia is member of the World Bank’s Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA).
- MIGA provides insurance against political risks.
International dispute settlement
- In case of dispute, international investors may refer to and/or use the following two international conventions
|Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between States and Nationals of other States||New York Arbitration Convention|
Repatriation of capital and profits
- Zambia is a business-friendly nation: there is neither foreign exchange control nor restriction on repatriation of profits or capital.
Protection of Property Rights
- Since 1980, the Zambian Parliament has passed a number of laws to protect intellectual property rights.
- Main laws are the following.
|The Patents Act (2016)||The Industrial Designs Act (2016)||The Protection of Traditional Knowledge, Genetic Resources and Expressions of Folklore Act (2016)||The Layout-Designs of Integrated Circuits Act (2016)|
|The Copyright and Performance Rights (Amendment) Act (2010)||The Plant Breeder’s Rights Act (2007)||The Copyright and Performance Rights Act (1994)||The Merchandise Marks Act (1994)|
|The Trade Marks Act (1994)||The Trade Marks Act (1980)|
- At the international level, the Government of Zambia is member of the following two IP-related organizations
|World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)||African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO)|